Berlin - Unter den Linden
Unter den Linden is the former parade avenue of Prussian electoral princes and kings. It stretches from the Spree River Bridge in the park up to the Brandenburg Gate. The origin of the street goes back to the 16th century. It was originally a bridle path from the Berlin castle to the princely hunting area in the Tiergarten area about 1 km away. After the 30-Year War, this path was developed into a wide avenue planted with lime-trees. At that time, it still ran between meadows and along fields. In the 17th century, Friedrich City emerged to the left of the avenue and Doretheen City to the right of it. At that time, the street led through both suburbs. The cultivation of the avenue began with the exterior completion of the armoury in 1706. Palaces for the electoral princes and other courtly buildings followed little by little. In the 19th century, the arrangement of the boulevard was temporarily ended by the construction of distinguished residential houses and business buildings in the western part of it. The avenue became one of the most famous boulevards in Europe. The 2nd World War was disastrous for it. Almost all buildings were destroyed. In the following decades the street was rebuilt, with the original appearance of the most significant buildings being restored, but only with great difficulty.